Tuesday, April 25, 2017

PACKING

​A GLIMPSE

A
 glimpse through an interstice caught, 
​O
f a crowd of workmen and drivers in a bar
​-
room around the stove late of a winter night, and I unremark
​'​
d seated in a corner,
​O​
f a youth who loves me and who
​m I​
 love, silently approaching and se
​at​
ing himself near, that he may hold me by the hand, 
​A
 long while amid the noises of coming and going, of drinking and 
​oath
 and s
​mutty je​
st, 
​T
here we too, content, happy 
​in 
being together, speaking little, perhaps not a word
​.

- Walt Whitman​


If you tell people you aren't involved, you are involved.

If there are people you no longer acknowledge, how do you know who they are?

I am packing hardly anything: a pair of pants, two pair of socks, two underwear, two t-shirts, two shirts, a sweater, a raincoat, a stocking cap, a down vest, a hoodie, a wrap-around ear warmer (that can double as an eye mask on the plane), tiny gloves, a travel guide (or perhaps pages torn from a travel guide), a notebook, a flashlight, a few aspirin, a toothbrush, razor, comb, travel towel.

This is an experiment in owning and carrying little.

My phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment